Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 1997 E320 Mercedes Benz with a transmission problem.

I have a 1997 E320 Mercedes Benz with a transmission problem. It will not shift out of 1st gear The computer codes are 715 and 720. Can I repair myself. If not is this a expensive repair?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 8 years ago.
Hi Grant, you aren't going to be able to do this repair yourself. If this problem coincided with the beverage can leaking I would definitely consider it as a possibility. I'd be more inclined to think it is a faulty conducter plate inside the transmission. Other common problems related to those codes are a leaking harness connector at the transmission, fluid in the transmission control module due to wicking up the harness, or a bad transmission control module. It is going to need to go to a Mercedes specialist for proper diagnosis. Costs could run anywhere from under $100.00 if it's just the harness connector to $750.00 or even over $1000.00 if it's some of the other items.