MBTim, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  21 years Mercedes Diagnosis Technician. ASE Master Tech With Advanced Level,California smog lisc.8yr

1996 C220: (camshaft sensor?) send me a stalled

Where are the crankshaft position sensor and the "mark sensor" (camshaft sensor?) on my 1996 C220 please? Can you send me a diagram which would show these?   When the car stalled I was told to purchase a "crankshaft position sensor" so I bought Bosch part #XXXXXXXXXX "Ref. Mark Sensor".   Now I'm told it's the camshaft sensor at the front that causes the stalling - do you agree and if so what part # XXXXX that be
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Do you have a check engine light on and if so what is the code?
-What have you already tried?
-Does the car just stall randomly and then restart?
Is the car hot or cold when the stalling occurs?
What other information can you tell us ablout your cars problem?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hello Tim,
No, the check engine light is not on.
Haven't tried anything - I just want to replace the appropriate part and I've heard the camshaft sensor is the problem.
It just stalled once: I had driven 12 miles - 90 degree weather - when it started sputtering on the freeway; 1 mile later it stalled while I was trying to park; a mechanic assured me the battery was OK, the car wasn't getting gasoline (I had a 1/2 tank); after 30 minutes it started again and has not stalled since; an MB mechanic said to replace the crankshaft sensor but he may have meant the camshaft sensor.
Without a diagram I don't know where the camshaft and crankshaft sensors are located ...

I would agree mostly with the first mechanic. The crankshaft position sensor is 5 times more likely to cause this symptom.
Cankshaft Position sensor is located at the
Left rear of engine, at ring gear and transmission flange
View the two attached photos.

I hope I have answered your question PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT So I can be paid for my help Then if you need further help feel free to ask.