John, master tech
Experience:  A1-A8,b5,t2,l1 ASE,Triple chrysler mastertech, engine,automatic tran for mercedes HEV chrys Spec.

How do I reset me C230 out from limp home mode?

Customer Question

how do I reset me C230 out from limp home mode?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Hi my name is john.

You will need a scan tool to clear the code to reset,but if there is a problem it will come right back on.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've disconnected the battery for about 30 minutes and that reset the Engine Check.
Then, I took the car for a spin around the block and noticed that it was still on limp home mode eventhough the engine check warning was reset. When I parked home, I've switched the ignition key again, and the warning came up once more.
I'm plaaning to get a OBDII to be able to read the codes.
Any suggestions? Where do I find the meaning of the codes? I'm not a mechanic...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

http://www.mercedesmanuals.com/Mercedes_Benz_CAN_BUS_OBD_II_Diagnostics_Tool_1996_p/gs300obd.htm
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
When you get the code number i can tell you how to test it if you like.
John, master tech
Experience: A1-A8,b5,t2,l1 ASE,Triple chrysler mastertech, engine,automatic tran for mercedes HEV chrys Spec.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've got a P0730 Incorrect Gear Ratio ... Can you advise me on what to do?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Here how to test for that code

They closed your other question

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Let me know what else you need.

I check the fluid level first.

Smell the fluid it should be sweet.

Than pull the tran pan and check the filter is not pluged.

There say you might need a new solnoid

Check the wiring.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Let me know if you need to replace the solnoid pack

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Great! and how do I take the car out of the limp home mode? Do I need a special equipment to do that? I've tried by resetting the code (via odb2 scanner) and also disconnected the baterry cables for longer than 30 minutes. When I started the car the engine check light was off and had no codes recorded, but when I took it for a spinning around the block, I noticed that it was still on limp home mode. It was not switching gears. I ran the scanning again, and the P0730 was back. Now, the car is at my garage waiting for my next step.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Also, the shift gear lever has a noticeable slack and I have to move several times between R and D to be able to engage (with a big "clunk")
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
What did you do to fix the problem?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Here a cpoy of a TSB for your p0730 and 55 are the same code.

graphic