Victor MB
Victor MB, ASE & MercedesBenz Master Certified
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Mercedes Benz Master Certified, 8 years Dealership Training and Experience
12830967

Mercedes-Benz: Rear Brake Pads..Brake Fluid..Flush

Rear Brake Pads on subject car
Brake Fluid Replacement
Power Steering Fluid Flush

Please help me on how to go about all the above without the Mercedes-Benz Star Diagnosis System (SDS)
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Victor MB replied 6 years ago.

The only thing you will need the SDS for is the brakes. However I have seen people do it without the SDS. Open the hood and on the passenger side of the engine towards the front you will see the SBC Hyd. Control unit for the brakes. Lock the car and wait for about 1 minute. Then unplug the sbc connector by pulling up and out. Once this is unplugged, replaced the rear pads as normal. Perform the brake flush as normal (all of the brake fluid may not be flushed if not used with the SDS) this will flush out most of the brake fluid. Start from the furthest brake line (right rear ) then left rear, then left front and last right front. The power steering flush can be done as normal.

After you have performed the brake maintenance and replaced the brake fluid, connect the SBC connector, unlock vehicle and start the car. Pump the brake pedal a few times. If the SBC or BRAKE light come on, cycle key and repeat. turn key on, pump brake pedal, and start the car. Pump brake pedal again. It may take 3-4 times of doing this but eventaully the SBC or Brake light will turn off.

Please click on the green accept button if I have answered your question. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your prompt response. When you say "Perform the brake flush as normal" meaning; pumping on the brake pedal as you would with a conventional automobile correct? Or is there a more exotic way of pumping the brake fluid out?
I promise this was the last question :-)
Expert:  Victor MB replied 6 years ago.
the best way to do it without a SDS is with a brake bleeder that supplies the brake resevoir with fluid and pressure. The next best thing to do if you don't have one of those is use a machine that sucks it out the bleeder screw like a Vacula brake bleeder. The last option is to pump the brakes the old fashion way. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Experience: ASE Master Certified, Mercedes Benz Master Certified, 8 years Dealership Training and Experience