Rob
Rob, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  18 1\2 years with Mercedes Benz and counting.
12478375

I have a 1998 Mercedes C230. My key has stopped working. I

I have a 1998 Mercedes C230. My key has stopped working. I have already tried putting new batteries but it still does not work. The small red indicator appears, but is very weak.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
Customer

When you say it stopped working do you mean it does not open the doors anymore or do you mean it does not turn the ignition anymore?

Easy way to test either or it if you have the other key. See if it starts the car and or opens\locks the door.

If it does not open the doors but it starts the car then you need a REALLY special tester to see if the key is good.

You say you have good batteries in it. Make sure they are in properly.

Then get the special tester..... You cell phone with a camera in it. If you turn on the camera and point the key at the lens and push the button and hold it you should see a light flicker in the screen of your cell phone. This is the signal that the key is sending.

If there is no light from the key, good batteries it is quite possibly the key is no good. This is why it is important to have two of them.

As for the little red light on the key. That just flashes as a tattle tale that the key worked. Kinda like the little eye on GM batteries that told you if the battery was good or not. In either case is does not mean a thing. Things god bad and the light will still flash after about 3 seconds.

Does the radio work and is it static free?

I say this because the ant. amp could have peeled off the rear window in which case the key will or won't work. Sometimes you have to be real close for it to open the doors.

I hope this answers your question.
Rob
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Rob... I do have another key and it is working fine. The radio also works. The key we are trying to fix does not open the door either. The new batteries I installed are correct. I tried the test and could not see any reaction. Indications seem that the key has to be replaced. Thank you.
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
If the other key works properly then that is the problem, the other key,

Happy I could help you out.

Please accept my answer if that properly answers you question.

Thanks
Rob
Rob, Mercedes Technician
Experience: 18 1\2 years with Mercedes Benz and counting.