Rob, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  18 1\2 years with Mercedes Benz and counting.

1987 MERCEDES 300E: SERPENTINE BELT..Loosen..ther tensioner..rite

Customer Question

tRYING TO INSTALL SERPENTINE BELT ON A 1987 MERCEDES 300E 124. Loosen ther tensioner but it would not move in enough to let me get the belt on. The belt I have is a drive rite 6PK2260. Model(NNN) NNN-NNNNR. <Looks like I have the wrong belt.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomerbr />
Did you measure the old belt to the new belt to make sure the are they same length?

Also it may be necessary to put the belt on the last pulley that is lower then the highest pulley. Meaning the power steering pulley sits high but the alternator sits lower.

Also try pulling up on the belt when it is almost on. This causes the tension to loosen a bit more giving you some more room.

You may need to loosen the bolt a bit more. But be careful not to go to far with the bolt. It can come out of the nut you are turning then the tensioner has to come out in order to get it back in.

Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
O.k here is a better example.

Sometimes it is easier to get the belt over #10 then #11 in the picture.

But if you give the belt a pull you can get it over #11.