Rob, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  18 1\2 years with Mercedes Benz and counting.

Brake Caliper rusted/frozen driver side- causeed smoking and

Brake Caliper rusted/frozen driver side- causeed smoking and a severe drag with forward bobble, and caliper was smoking hot -literally. I am single mother that just lost her job,and have to release caliper so I can drive my truck without causing more damage. Please HELP ...

Tina, there is no easy way to deliver bad new but in order to fix the the brake calipers and hoses need to be replaced.

You can not free up the brakes because they will lock up the next time you hit the brake.

You can replace them yourself with some pretty basic tools. The most important thing is to bleed the air out of the brakes.

I do not know the price of the calipers but I now they are not that cheap.

I know this is not the answer you are looking for but if I can help you out with any more info just let me know.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Rob,I really thank you for the information.I must admit I am quite "bummed", as the younger genration would say, as I am in Key West with no closet dealer being in Miami 120 niles away. I still have a factory warranty,BUT - always a but huh ! :} - if any other shop works on the vehicle it voids the warranty - ALL hoses on the vehicle are on recall, so I am assuming this is also brake hoses,due to manufacture defect in the rubber products, but even IF these hoses are covered there is no finacial way to get a flatbed from Key West to Miami - Bare with me- My main fear is a hurricane & not being able to get out - What kind of damage will it cause should I HAVE to drive in an emergency, and could it cause a fire under the hood of the truck ? I am assuming so, but am no expert.Used to work on my VW Jetta & 2 Golf's often (from '88 thru 2000),but Mecedes is so new to me... My ex-BIlaw gave me this car after Hurricane Wilma,when I lost my car to flood waters - I knew I could not afford this vehicle,but I had to have a vehicle,expecially with 2 children... Sorry to babble- I just have to make a decision-fix it myself and chance voiding warranty or try to get it to Miami somehow - which dealer will cost me dearly anyway. Might you be able to suggest a dependable place to order the parts,and what are ALL the parts I will need ? I will add another $1o.oo to your payment should you be able to send me instructions on how to do this myself,as I really see no other way - It's not much I know, but I haven't even received my uneployment ck.,yet as enployer hasn't yet responded to claim.We are living off what savings I have left. I thank you very much for all your time and all the knowledge you are/can share.
Tina-Key West,FL.-aka to some "Paradise" lol :D -

Yes fire is a real possibility if you drive in that condition long enough. And it can happen rather quickly.

You may want to call the dealer. If the truck is still under factory warranty then they just might also cover the tow. I know how to fix them I don't get into the money end of it but it seems to me it is worth asking the question. A phone call could be well worth your time tomorrow morning.

Explain the situation to them and see what they say. Whats the worst that can happen?

I have never ordered parts from an outside source other then the dealer. I'd imagine you might be able to go to a parts store or if there are none in the keys you could go to their website and they ship the parts to you. Left and right brake calipers and brake hoses are about all you need. Plus some brake fluid.

Make the call in the morning and if it is not a covered item I can get you some work instructions so that you can do the job yourself.

Let me know what they say.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Rob- Had to update my credit card- the exp. date was listed wrong- let me know if you have any problems,but think it should be fine-
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will call them tomorrow.Rob - As you mentioned most they can say is no, so really no lose there - Again-Thank You !! Tina

The first thing I thought of when I woke up this morning is that I am wrong and not in a good way.

Depending on how hot the rotors got it may be possible that they need to be replaced also.

Let me know how you make out this morning.