John, master tech
Experience:  A1-A8,b5,t2,l1 ASE,Triple chrysler mastertech, engine,automatic tran for mercedes HEV chrys Spec.
9510839

have 93 190e cannot get key to turn to change lock cylinder

No Comment Added
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

Hi my name is John.

You might try tap on the end of the key with a plastic hammer several time while tring to turn the key.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to supertech's Post: ALREADY TRIED THAT, HAVE BEEN MESSING WITH THIS KEY FOR A YEAR. BEEN A TECH FOR 15 YEARS LOOKING FOR SOMEONE THATS BEEN IN THIS SITUATION ON MY CAR BEFORE. IM LOOKING FOR SOMETHING THAT YOU AND I WOULDNT THINK WAS OBVIOUS TO TRY.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
I'll pass and see if some one else can help you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP I CAN GET THANK YOU VERY MUCH. SOMEBODY TOLD ME THERE WERE CERTAIN PLACES TO DRILL BUT OF COURSE DIDNT KNOW WHAT PLACES THOSE WERE...
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

have you tried makeing this wire?graphic250" height="389"/>

Effective length of wire = 320 mm

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
YES I HAVE THAT. THE CYLINDER THAT I HAVE IS 1 I ALREADY TOOK OUT OF ANOTHER BENZ. SO I HAVE SUCCESSFULLY REMOVED 1 WITH THAT TOOL.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
FINDING ANYTHING YET?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

With the tool in it and the key it won't turn right?

I have used a rotary file on a high speed air drumal and ground them down to where i could use a screw driver to take them out.

This is what i do as last resort
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
CYLINDER WONT TURN AT ALL, BUT I BROKE FREE THE FACE TO INSERT THE TOOL. NOT SURE IF THAT MATTERS AS LONG AS THE TOOL GOES IN....RIGHT?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

Right They say to pry off the cover and insert the tool and turn.

Here a copy of what the book says.

• On model 124, remove cover (37l) from the instrument panel.
  • On model 201, remove escutcheon (36a) using a small screwdriver.
  • On model(s) 124 or 201, turn lock cylinder (36) into position "1" with key.
  • Press disengaging wire (0100) into the bores (arrows) and unlock the locking detents by overcoming the spring resistance.
  • Remove lock cylinder (36) with cap (36b) from steering lock (37).
  • Remove key and disengaging wire (0100) from lock cylinder (36), remove cap (36b).

Installation of Lock Cylinder :

• Install lock cylinder (36) in the cap (36b), push in key and turn into position "1". Press lock cylinder (36) into the steering lock with key and cap (36b) until the cap (36b) engages (observe groove assignment).

NOTE : If the lock cylinder/key is notchy or binding, spray lock cylinder with lock cylinder grease. If the complaint cannot be eliminated, replace lock cylinder and the key which has been in continual use.

Lubricants :

Lock cylinder grease Part no. 001NNN-NN-NNNN/td>

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
THESE DIRECTIONS SAY TO TURN KEY TO #1 POSITION AND TURNING THE KEY IS MY PROBLEM I CANT TURN IT AT ALL. DOES THE KEY HAVE TO BE TURNED TO UNLOCK DETENT SPRINGS OR TO ACTUALLY REMOVE CYLINDER? I CAN INSERT TOOLS I JUST CANT INSERT KEY. I HAVE LOOKED ON MITCHELL, ALLDATA AND IDENTAFIX...YOU ARE MY ONLY HOPE.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

You can't insert the key into the lock cylinder?

i though you could put it in and it just would not turn.

IYou have to have the cylinder in postion number 1 before inserting the tool to release the cylinder.

So you have two choose either try and turn it with a big screw driver or grind it out with a rotorty file at 20,000rpm is the wi see this problem,unless you can think of somethine else.

Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
If it was me doing this i think i go straight in where the key goes and grind it out to where i can take it out and turn the inside to where i could install a new cylinder.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP. IM NOT SURE WHAT TYPE OF METAL THE FACE IS BUT MY CARBIDE BITS WOULDNT EVEN SCRATCH IT. I WILL TRY THE DREMIL AND SEE WHERE IT GETS ME.THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!!
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

I use a 1/4 dia file that is pointed.

harden steel i bought it on the snap-on tool truck.

Let me know how it goes.

i just go in far enough to turn it,most likely you will have to take out most of the tumbler.

John, master tech
Experience: A1-A8,b5,t2,l1 ASE,Triple chrysler mastertech, engine,automatic tran for mercedes HEV chrys Spec.