VinnievegaMBtech
VinnievegaMBtech, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 20 yrs. of dealer experence, Master tech certified, Still Dealer Employed. School every year.
7851454

the camshaft sensor on my mercedes c180 has leaked oil ...

the camshaft sensor on my mercedes c180 has leaked oil and travelled up along the wiring loom . will i need to replace the ECU

Hello, tristen anthony john,

usaly when that happens, yes, the oil gets pushed right into the ECU, it might run ok at first for a little while, but eventully it will need it, pending on how much oil got in to it.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
vinnie

Yes

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
sorry . the ecu doesnt seem to have alot of oil on its port diodes .could there be any other reason apart from the ecu thatthe car will not start . the engine check light is on .
Did the car die while driving and this is what you found or did it not start at one time and this is what you found ?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i brought it too a mercedes dealer and the diagnostic showed the camshaft sensor to be the problem . afer inspecting and changing this i found the oil to have saurated the wiring loom . the car did not stop but began to chuck and run badly
And now it won't start, I would check the spark plugs and see if they are failed out from the bad harness, if they are failed they will be black in color. other than that, then there is more oil then in the ECU then meets the eye, sorry to say.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i have renewed the sparkplugs and changed the coil packs also . i did notice some oil while changing the wiring loom on the flywheel sensor on top of the gearbox .could this have somethingto do with the problem do you think?
Ok yes that is the crank shaft sensor did you put a new sensor in, wow the oil realy got through on that one, i never seen one that bad. if that got oil in it then yes that would keep it from starting.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no i did not replace the the crank shaft sensor i just cleaned it out with wd 40 . but i think i will replace it before i go replacing the ecu unit . Thanks for your help
you are welcome and thanks for using just answer.