tech4benz
tech4benz, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Master Certified , Dealership Employed and Factory Trained
9666453

2003 E320 MBenz. Malfunction Displays

How do I remove or reset the Malfunction Display, "Main Service Inspection Performed on Time?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  tech4benz replied 6 years ago.

Hello ,

On this model, you have a control unit called a central gateway(CGW), it internally calculates oil quality and determines mileage and also will calculate when certain maintenance items are due...and this message you are getting is for a certain inspection that is due every 50 years!!!, what happens, something very common on this model, is the CGW internally is malfunctioning more than likely, or has malfunctioned in the past, maybe even only on one occasion due to low battery voltage...and it then had lost its synchronization, now telling you that your due for this....now I think I can walk you through how to reset this in the cluster, but you'll have to go back and cancel some of the service items because the only way to confirm anything on the service menu is to confirm all of it, and then go back and cancel single items...that way you don't confirm (for example) that you performed and oil service as well as a brake fluid flush.....all we want to confirm right now is this inspection....now get in car, key position 2, use up arrow until service menu is up, hold trip reset for more than 5 seconds, now you'll be in a new menu screen, scroll down with +/- buttons to confirmation, then press bottom page button on left side of steering wheel,(if it then asks: oil grade used, scroll to 229.5, then hit the bottom page button to confirm, after this, hit the upper page button on left of steering wheel, and go to cancel sing. items, hit bottom page button, and you at least want to cancel items 12 , 13 and 14, these are for oil services.....if none of this works for you then you'll have to go to your MB dealer and they will probably flash the CGW with the newest software and perform a full reset....but if you don't have warranty left you'll obviously have to pay for this....but the procedure I explained to you should work, let me know....and good luck...Bob

tech4benz, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Master Certified , Dealership Employed and Factory Trained
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to tech4benz's Post: I was able to get to the "Confirm" menu and followed your directions carefully. I ended up with "Service C in 13000 Miles" and had re-set the service reminder. However, I still have the original Malfunction message, "Main Service Inspection Performed on Time."

Any other suggestions? Or should I just pay the Dealer to flash the Central Gate Way (CGW). Thanks
Expert:  tech4benz replied 6 years ago.

Hello again,

I was looking through a 2003 E320 owners manual and found that on page 278, under operation section, there's a whole section on maintenance, and it shows how to reset this general inspection with pictures and everything.....if you have your manual just follow that...if not then I'll explain it, right now anyways, key position 2 , bring up service menu, hold trip reset for 5 seconds, use +/- to scroll to special work, then use bottom page button on left side of wheel, select general inspection with the +/-, then press the bottom page button again, now you can set a new date, i would set it for at least 30 years away, its not an issue, select date confirmed by +/-, and press the bottom page button again...should work for you if not you'll have to see the dealer like we talked about....good luck...Bob

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to tech4benz's Post: Bob:

Looks like that did the trick after I changed the date to 2040. ( actually entered "40" on the 2-digit field for "year" ) The instruction on my 2003 E320 MBenz Owner's Manual on page 278-280 did the trick just as you recommended. That was a big help! Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX thank you.