LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  10 years post-MSW experience
25232551

My son, 20, drowned in a kayaking accident in a glacier fed

Customer Question

My son , 20, drowned in a kayaking accident in a glacier fed river, in southern washington, he was submerged 4 days before a 25 man crew could safely recover him. I have horrible nightmares of being in that river , and not being able to reach him. I am trying to get realistic pictures in my head , so I am not envisioning something wrong and being tormented untruthfully. his autopsy showed no signs of trauma, and a completely clean tox report. any FACTS you can share, just might calm my nightmares thankyou
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that makes your head feel worse or better?
Customer: he died 5/15/15, so about 1 1/2 yrs. I saw the exact place in the river , when placing a plaque, and now wondering if that was a mistake. but I know having no answers is the biggest trauma to me
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: is there anything scientific I could read about cold water drowning that may ease my agony over him suffering and being terrified?
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  LeahMSWuofm replied 6 days ago.

Hi, I am so extremely sorry to here about your son drowning. I cannot imagine the agony you feel - that kind of tragic loss is extremely, extremely difficult to comprehend and ultimately "accept" especially when you feel like you don't have all the answers. I can understand your yearning for these answers and clarity. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/12416266_Cold_stress_near_drowning_and_accidental_hypothermia_A_review

I did find an article which may give you some of the science you are looking for. Here is a link to it.

I hope this helps and remain here if you wish to talk about this more.

Sincerely,

Leah