Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I am a 19 year old girl who finds herself having panic

Customer Question

Hi. I am a 19 year old girl who finds herself having panic attacks about death at night. I do not fear the process/ pain of death nor do I fear leaving this earth.
My fears come from not knowing what will happen to "me" when I die. I'm not talking about the physical me I am more so talking about my minds' voice, my spirit and "soul". I am not religious nor am I very scientific. I just would like some suggestions on how to help these nightly panic attacks and get tips on where I should begin to feel comfortable with my fears.
Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 month ago.

Fear of death or dying is also known as Thanatophobia which is a type of phobia.

Since when this is happening to you?

Kindly mention the symptoms of panic attacks you are experiencing? What is the precipitating factor for these attacks?

Are you also experiencing some other symptoms such as sadness, loss of interest, fatigue, lack of motivation, do you frequently worry about small issues?

Currently or recently experienced any significant stress.

Any significant medical / psychiatric history, recent or past?

Any positive history of psychiatric illness in family?

Any history of consuming excess tea, coffee, alcohol or any other thing you would like to mention?

Consulted any psychiatrist / doctor and taken treatment for these symptoms?

Kindly answer these questions and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
symptoms include a racing heart, a "tingling" sensation in my body, light headedness, and tears (i think just caused by fear). I have no added stress. I remember thinking about this for about the past 2 years. I have not consulted anyone. no mental health history in my family. i don't have sadness, fatigue, lack of motivation, or ever worry about small issues.It seems like to me when I'm ready to go to bed and fall asleep my mind wanders to the thoughts of death and before I can ever really think about it my heart begins to race which frightens me more.