Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC
90967183

I was wondering why lithium doesn't seem to be prescribed

Customer Question

I was wondering why lithium doesn't seem to be prescribed very much.It has been a wonder drug for me.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Expert:  Linda D. replied 1 month ago.

First, let me say how pleased I am as a professional to hear that you have found a medication that works well for you and treats your symptoms. That is wonderful. I am wondering why you think Lithium is not prescribed that often. Lithium is actually is one of the most widely used and studied medications for treating bipolar disorder. Lithium helps reduce the severity and frequency of mania. It may also help relieve or prevent bipolar depression.

Studies show that lithium can significantly reduce suicide risk. Lithium also helps prevent future manic and depressive episodes. As a result, it may be prescribed for long periods of time (even between episodes) as maintenance therapy.

Lithium acts on a person's central nervous system (brain and spinal cord). Doctors don't know exactly how lithium works to stabilize a person's mood, but it is thought to help strengthen nerve cell connections in brain regions that are involved in regulating mood, thinking and behavior.

Again, you are very fortunate to have found a psychiatrist at a young age that was able to significantly help you. I wish you all the best and continued wellness. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Expert:  Linda D. replied 1 month ago.

Hello Peter, I am checking in to see if I can help you any further. If not, then I would like to ask that you take a moment to rate my service to you. I would truly appreciate it. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC