Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Owner and Psychotherapist at Self-Employed, Private Practice
94172775

Well, I have issues with severe Anxiety and stress. I have

Customer Question

Well, I have issues with severe Anxiety and stress. I have had a very hard time trying to find a local doctor to effectively treat my issues. I have first been put on Celexa for my anxiety, I took it for close to six months with no relieve. They then out me on Welbuturon, took it for about the same ammount of time with no change. The doctor then used my dosage to the maximum amount of Welbuturon and again no change. They finally had me take Celexa along with the Welbuturon. None of these meds have worked nor have regulated my anxiety, stress, and panic attacks at all. I have had anxiety issues since my mid 20's, I'm 39 now. It has gotten worse and worse over these years and I have not had any local doctors prescribe me the medication that I actually need to help this out. So I'm trying to find another way, a legal way, of obtaining the right medication to target this problem. I need some relief. I'm exhausted and have dealt with this issue long enough. It has effected my life in a very negative way and I desperately need to find a way to get this under control so I can live a normal calm life. Any help you can give would be so very appreciative.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: It has been 14 years now. It has gotten progressively worse in these past 4 years. I have gone through a horrible devorce where my child now lives 4 hours away from me, I have since been struggling with Finical issues, my mother whom is in bad health has had to move in with me so that she can be cared for, I have lost several very close people to me in these past four years, and have lost 2 of the best jobs I have ever had due to all this as well. My anxiety issues are no running my life. I have taken xanex before, when I ended up going to the ER because I thought I was having a heart attack, and it helped calm me down but it was such a low dose that it didn't last very long and it only took the edge off.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: No not really. I have never seen a psychologist or have had any other issues other than this.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Therapist Leslie replied 1 month ago.

Good evening and thank you so much for your message. I realize it's difficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.

My name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in the Metro Boston area.

Ohhhh, sweet soul, you have been through so much especially managing a horrible divorce and being separated from your children. I can absolutely understand how your life has now become a serious of extreme stressors and anxiety-ridden days. This is obviously no way to live and it seems you are exhausted of it.

My recommendations are as follows:

1. First and foremost, find a reputable psychologist who can provide a full evaluation for psychotropic medication. I'm sure your local doctor means well and wants you to feel better but you need to be treated by a specialist who can examine your symptoms and help create a solid treatment plan for you.

2. Secondly, please find a solid, licensed therapist who can help you build a strong bank of coping skills. He/she can work closely with your psychologist, ensuring you are the right path toward healing.

3. Please pick up a copy of the book entitled, "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook" by Edmund Bourne. It is jam packed with coping skills for managing anxiety. It's workbook style and I believe you will it incredibly helpful.

These are some coping skills I provide for my clients and also wanted to pass them along to you...

There are a few things you can do to manage your anxiety effectively.....some of them include the following:

1.psychotherapy to learn some coping skills

2.psychiatry (medication for anxiety)

3.exercise (to raise serotonin levels in the brain)

4.yoga/meditation (to overall ease anxiety)

I would also recommend the following coping techniques:

• Take a time-out. Practice yoga, listen to music, meditate, get a massage, or learn relaxation techniques. Stepping back from the problem helps clear your head.
  • Eat well-balanced meals. Do not skip any meals. Do keep healthful, energy-boosting snacks on hand.
  • Limit alcohol and caffeine, which can aggravate anxiety and trigger panic attacks.
  • Get enough sleep. When stressed, your body needs additional sleep and rest.
  • Exercise daily to help you feel good and maintain your health.
  • Take deep breaths. Inhale and exhale slowly.
  • Count to 10 slowly. Repeat, and count to 20 if necessary.
  • Do your best. Instead of aiming for perfection, which isn't possible, be proud of however close you get.
  • Accept that you cannot control everything. Put your stress in perspective: Is it really as bad as you think?
  • Welcome humor. A good laugh goes a long way.
  • Maintain a positive attitude. Make an effort to replace negative thoughts with positive ones.
  • Get involved. Volunteer or find another way to be active in your community, which creates a support network and gives you a break from everyday stress.
  • Learn what triggers your anxiety. Is it work, family, school, or something else you can identify? Write in a journal when you’re feeling stressed or anxious, and look for a pattern.

Have I answered your question? Is there anything else I can do to assist you further? I want to ensure you are pleased with my service. I also gently request you provide a star rating for me. Of course, we can continue to talk after the rating is provided.

Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie

Good evening,

I just wanted to circle back as I haven't heard from you. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

I gently request you provide a star rating for me so I may be compensated. Of course, we can continue to talk after a rating is provided.

Warm regards,

Leslie