LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  10 years post-MSW experience
25232551

I am on wellbutrin 300 mg. It stops depression cold. It has

I am on wellbutrin 300 mg. It stops depression cold. It has created terrible anxiety. I am trying buspar for this. It does not stop the anxiety. I was on Celexa for years until weight and sex became issues. Otherwise it worked fine on both depression and anxiety. Can you combine wellbutrin with small amounts of Celexa?
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: since the day I started wellbutrin, oct 5, 2016. I quit Celexa cold turkey as I went on a fishing trip in the Amazon and all my luggage disappeared.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: no. everything else is pretty good. I was on Celexa without issue for about ten years.

Hello and thank you for writing to us. My name is Leah. "Augmenting" or adding Celexa to your current Wellbutrin regimen is safe. Wellbutrin does not affect Serotonin levels like the Celexa does, therefore combining the two is sometimes advantageous. Also, the fact that you stopped Celexa cold turkey could have had something to do with the spike in your anxiety as quitting medications like this can produce withdrawal effects. but now, weeks later with the anxiety still present, it is worth considering the readdition of the med that worked so well for you before.

I hope this helps,

-Leah

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok answer. Could have been more detailed, but helpful.

Thanks. Anything else I can help with?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am on 300 mg of wellbutrin. What dose of Celexa should I start the experiment?

I would consult your physician prior to adding the Celexa as this advice does not substitute them assessing the proper dose for you. However, a starting dose of Celexa of 10mg would be the ideal and likely place to start.