Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC
90967183

My daughter ( 35 yEARS) IS POLAR AND DEVELOPES FRQUENTLY

My daughter ( 35 yEARS) IS BI POLAR AND DEVELOPES FRQUENTLY ANXIETY . IF THIS HAPPENS I GIVE HER 2MG lORAZEPAN . WOULD Xanax BE A BETTER SOLUTION?IF YES WHICH DOSIS AND IN WHICH FREQUENC WOULD YOU RECOMMEND
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: FOR YEARS, IT IS GETTING WORSE IF SHE DOES NOT GET WHAT SHE WOULD LIKE TO GET
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: SHE IS DIAGNOSED AS MILDELY MENTALLY RETARDED DUE TO MICROENCYFALIS (?)

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Hello, I am glad you reached out for guidance and support. I worked with adults with developmental disabilities for many years and I understand some of the challenges you may face as your daughters mother. Lorazepam and Xanax are controlled substances in the benzodiazepine family. They have essentially the same effect, they are fast acting and are meant to help a person get through an incident of high anxiety. However, they are not effective in treating anxiety and/or bipolar disorder in any significant way. The good news is that there are very good medications to help calm some of her symptoms (such as an SSRI for anxiety) and behavi0ors. Because every person responds differently to medications and in my experience individuals who have neurological disorders are even more complex, you should talk to her physician and get a referral for a psychiatrist who specializes in treating adults with MR/DD. The psychiatrist may also be able to help you to make sure you are not rewarding or reinforcing unwanted behaviors in your daughter (demanding what she wants). Does this make sense? Please let me know if you have any questions. Also I would truly appreciate it if you would take a moment to rate my service to you. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Linda,
Thank you for your explanation and suggestions
Please explain what does SSRI stands for and also MR/DD

Yes of course: SSRI stands for selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors or serotonin-specific reuptake inhibitors. These are a class of drugs that are typically used as antidepressants in the treatment of major depressive disorder and anxiety disorders. And MR/DD stands for Mental Retardation/Developmental Disabilities. Sorry for the confusion. Anything else I can help with? Linda D., LMSW, CASAC

Please take a moment to rate my service to you, I would truly appreciate it and wish you and yur daughter all the best. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

If you are finished chatting with me I would like to ask that you please take a moment to rate my service to you, I would truly appreciate it. I wish you the best. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC