Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

My five year old son is becoming more and more

Customer Question

My five year old son is becoming more and more uncontrollable and angry. He screams and yells when he does not get his way and has resorted to hitting my wife on occasion if she does not meet his expectations on even seemingly minor requests. For example, he wanted his clothes for school next to him on the bed so she brought them to him and then she asked him to dress himself. He started into a tantrum because the clothes were not in the exact spot he wanted them. His expectations are becoming more and more ridiculous and his tantrums more frequent and explosive. To try to control his temper, we have always used timeout but recently started spanking since timeout was no longer helping. We are extremely loving parents and provide lots of praise and attention for good behavior as well as displaying lots of affection with him (hugs, kisses, and snuggling). However, it seems like he is battling a demon and we are at a loss to help him conquer it. Any advise you can provide is appreciated.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No doctor or medications
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: Not that I am aware of...we do not have any family history or mental issues and no one in the family is on any medicnes
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 17 days ago.

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.