How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Dr. Keane Your Own Question

Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1375
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Keane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister has temporary guardianship for her 5 year old

Customer Question

My sister has temporary guardianship for her 5 year old grandson. His dad is in prison and quit seeing him about 1 year ago because new girlfriend didn't want him too. His mother has never provided a stable home for him. My sister has been the only stable factor in his life. She had him last year in preschool. His mother took him out. This year he is in kindergarten. When he went to his mother's, the teachers could tell because he acted up. He hit other kids and the teachers for no reason. She was granted guardianship the last of August. He is in therapy 2 times a week. He been suspended 3 times and in school once. They are talking about a group home. My sister is at her wits end, she does not want a group home. What can she do to help my troubled nephew?
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Captain replied 4 months ago.


Welcome to the question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings:

I have read your post and observations. It's clear you feel a great deal of love for this boy, and that is a tremendous gift you're already offering him! Congratultions! Would you prefer a summary answer to your question, or would you prefer more back-and-forth, where there will be a series of more questions and more details clarified? There is no difference in charges for your preference.

Either way, I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Back and forth
Expert:  Dr. Captain replied 4 months ago.

that works! What, so far, has your sister tried, to try to obtain custody or complain?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She goes back to court in Dec. for permanent. The school filed a FINS.
Expert:  Dr. Captain replied 4 months ago.

Has she filed with the local department of child protective services? Has she expressed concerns with her primary care physician who could also file on her behalf?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
At the temporary trial, DHS, his therapist, principle of his school, FINS officer were all present and talked to the judge. My main concern is he continues to hit adults and kids for no reason. When asked why, his answer is he is playing or I don't know.
Expert:  Dr. Captain replied 4 months ago.

I see. All of these things are fantastic.. He is lucky to have so many people at bat for his support. There is also an element of psychiatric care that will be vital to his success..

Expert:  Dr. Captain replied 4 months ago.

Without question, he should be seen by a psychiatrist, and will most likely need close therapy for a while.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He is being seen by psychiatrist.
Expert:  Dr. Captain replied 4 months ago.

Fantastic. Sounds like you guys have covered just about all of the important medico/legal options! Impressive.

Expert:  Dr. Captain replied 4 months ago.

Are there people in his life that are trusted and appropriate to serve as mentors/guidance counselors?

Related Mental Health Questions