Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

My sister has temporary guardianship for her 5 year old

Customer Question

My sister has temporary guardianship for her 5 year old grandson. His dad is in prison and quit seeing him about 1 year ago because new girlfriend didn't want him too. His mother has never provided a stable home for him. My sister has been the only stable factor in his life. She had him last year in preschool. His mother took him out. This year he is in kindergarten. When he went to his mother's, the teachers could tell because he acted up. He hit other kids and the teachers for no reason. She was granted guardianship the last of August. He is in therapy 2 times a week. He been suspended 3 times and in school once. They are talking about a group home. My sister is at her wits end, she does not want a group home. What can she do to help my troubled nephew?
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Caplan replied 25 days ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

I have read your post and observations. It's clear you feel a great deal of love for this boy, and that is a tremendous gift you're already offering him! Congratultions! Would you prefer a summary answer to your question, or would you prefer more back-and-forth, where there will be a series of more questions and more details clarified? There is no difference in charges for your preference.

Either way, I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Back and forth

that works! What, so far, has your sister tried, to try to obtain custody or complain?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
She goes back to court in Dec. for permanent. The school filed a FINS.

Has she filed with the local department of child protective services? Has she expressed concerns with her primary care physician who could also file on her behalf?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
At the temporary trial, DHS, his therapist, principle of his school, FINS officer were all present and talked to the judge. My main concern is he continues to hit adults and kids for no reason. When asked why, his answer is he is playing or I don't know.

I see. All of these things are fantastic.. He is lucky to have so many people at bat for his support. There is also an element of psychiatric care that will be vital to his success..

Without question, he should be seen by a psychiatrist, and will most likely need close therapy for a while.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
He is being seen by psychiatrist.

Fantastic. Sounds like you guys have covered just about all of the important medico/legal options! Impressive.

Are there people in his life that are trusted and appropriate to serve as mentors/guidance counselors?