Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

Is there any anti-depressant that helps anxiety and skin

Customer Question

Is there any anti-depressant that helps anxiety and skin conditions, ie itching. I was originally on doxepin 25mg at night but found the medication made me very sleepy. No lower dose available, orginally worked well on 10mg. My doctor has now prescribed sertraline but I am not sure if this will make my skin condition worse. I have been diagnosed with eczema and sensitive skin before. I can either take doxepin again at 25mg every other day or try sertraline. Please could you kindly advise.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: I have had skin problems for many years, however doxepin sinequan 10mg helped some years ago. When I took the doxepin again some years later when my skin flared up again it did not work at 25mg however I was taking the tablet every day. This year I have tried anti-histamines which I reacted to and gabapentin which I had an allergy to. I am unable to use topical creams etc on my face as it is highly sensitive. My symptoms are made worse by the sun, stress, central heating, cold etc. My skin will itch or sting and I sometimes get it on my neck.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: No, I have only ever used anti-depressants, ie doxepin for my skin condition. I was hoping sertraline might help the itching and prickling on my skin as I can take that at a lower dose. Therefore I would not feel drowsy and out of it as I will feel on doxepin.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 6 months ago.
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
I am a Psychiatrist and I believe I can help you with your query.
Well, sertraline is good anti depressant against anxiety but it may not be of much use against itching, in fact, although uncommonly, but one of its side effects also include itching and skin rash, so while you are already struggling with itching, sertraline may not actually be a great choice for replacing doxepin.
So, I will like to suggest another drug called as lexapro ( escitalopram) at dose of 5mg/day to begin with and after 1 week raising the dose to 10 mg/day. This choice of anti depressant is very effective against anxiety and stress and is relatively safer than sertraline in terms of itching and skin problems.
So kindly discuss it with your doctor and hopefully he will choose this ahead of sertraline and you shall reap benefits from the same.
I hope this helps.
Wish you all the best.
Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.
Regards

May i please request you to kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer so that i can be credited for my service.

Regards