llw26
llw26, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  LCPC-2015. Clinical Forensic Psychology
66686948

I have had insomnia for so. I feel so scared and unable to

Customer Question

I have had insomnia for so long. I feel so scared and unable to cope. I have an appointment with the psychiatrist tomorrow. Do you think I could ask for remeron and diazepam for help with sleep and with depression? Do you think I could sleep with only remeron after taking it for a few weeks with the diazepam. Please help me. I am desperate for help and do not know how I can survive the day. Do you know the best medications to ask for for insomnia, anxiety, and major depression. I am 50 and have tried many things including antidepressant plus seroquel or plus zyprexa which help my problems but create other very harmful side effects. Tricyclic do not help me sleep. Do you know if maois help with insomnia and depression?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  llw26 replied 4 months ago.

Hello - My name is ***** ***** I hope to help! I have a few questions:

It's excellent to hear that you have an appointment with a psychiatrist tomorrow. Is this your regular psychiatrist?

Have you tried other means of sleep techniques out side of medication?

Do you attend therapy?

MAOI's can help with sleep; however, there are other ways of working through sleep deprivation (including medication and psychological/physiological techniques).

Expert:  llw26 replied 4 months ago.

To answer some of your other questions:

I do think you could ask for remeron and diazepam; however, it depends on what the psychiatrist feels comfortable prescribing you, along with a review of your medical history and other medications that you're currently taking and how they may interact with possible new medications. From what others have said and according to the literature, remeron is an excellent sleep aid. Have you tried benadryl? This is another sleep aid that may help you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How can I survive when I feel like I am having a nervous breakdown and I cannot take any medicine for about 7 hours.
Expert:  llw26 replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you're in distress. First, before we get into techniques to help yourself - are you having thoughts of harming or killing yourself or someone else? If so, please seek-out immediate medical attention at your local emergency room. If not, please continue below...

Have you heard of progressive muscle relaxation, or deep breathing? These can be very beneficial for someone when they are very anxious. Another suggestion may be to watch a calm youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB-7Y5eDfXk).

Did the psychiatrist suggest you not take your medications for 7 hours?

Expert:  llw26 replied 4 months ago.

Hi I wanted to check in and see how your appointment went and to make sure you're doing okay.

Expert:  llw26 replied 4 months ago.

Was there anything else I can help you with?