Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC
90967183

My son takes Xanax for teeth grinding at night prescribed my

Customer Question

My son takes Xanax for teeth grinding at night prescribed my his dentist. Is that a normal or usual use for Xanax?
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: No swelling last visit October
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: don't think so. the teeth grinding started about 4 years ago and he has had trouble with is bite alignment for a ever-he's 49
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Expert:  Linda D. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I have never heard of Xanax being used for night time teeth grinding, although I can see why the dentist may be trying this medication to help with your son getting into a more relaxed state while he is sleeping. The only concern with Xanax is that it is short acting and may not be effective for the entire 8 hours and it is an addictive controlled substance. He might want to talk to his dentist about other alternatives long term. Please let me know if I can help further. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Expert:  Linda D. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I was checking to see if you need any further help with your question And to ask if you would please rate my service to you. I would truly appreciate it. I wish you and your son all the best. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC