Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC
90967183

I am a 59 year old woman. I grew up with 10 brothers and

Customer Question

Good morning. I am a 59 year old woman. I grew up with 10 brothers and sisters - we were all very close and remained that way even though we lost our parents quite young (dad was 62 when he died, mom 72). I was married and divorced, then married again and had a child at 36 years old. After 2 miscarriages, my 2nd marriage ended and I raised my son myself. I did a good job, worked hard full-time, got raises and promotions, got a degree in night school and my son and I are very close. At 58 years old, to make a long story short, I got a D.U.I. It was stupid and shouldn't have happened - many details regarding that. I had to go to jail at Montgomery County. Now I have very bad anxiety, PTSD, I don't want to be around large groups of people having fun. I have no job. My son is still in college. He and 2 friends rent my home, I live with my boyfriend - Thank God! for him. He is a gem. I have no job. Cannot qualify for Obamacare or Medicaid. Had a bad fall so now I also have a law suit (had costochondritis, torn meniscus in L knee, fx L wrist, etc). I've applied for Soc Sec Dis but you know how long that takes. I have no money and cannot find a way to pay off my old credit card bills etc. I also think I could use to talk to a therapist but..... No $$$$. Any suggestions?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: I got out of 45 days in jail on Feb 21. I was okay at first just to be out. Then I realized that, despite how well people knew me, everyone was treating me like a terrible drug addict or something. The falldown was April 14 and I see a physical therapy on a letter of protection from my lawyer. But my regular doctor is $75 so I cannot visit him any longer because I am broke. Which also means I can no longer get the Diazepam for the anxiety. I feel most anxious on Sunday nights/Monday mornings because I know that I now have to find things to do by myself for 5 days. Luckily I am a strong person but..... I do see my son but he works full-time and still goes to college so he is very busy and I only see him maybe every 6 to 8 weeks which makes me sad. But I raised him alone and I have to say - he is a gem of a person! Well liked, very responsible, very kind.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: When I was 21 years old I was in a very bad car accident. The doctors said I would not live through the night. I smashed my face in - had to re-build my nose, 25 stitches around my R eye, broke 2 bones in my neck C2 and C5, broke all ribs and crushed my larynx. I did live, obviously, but it took 2 years and 7 operations on my throat. They said I would never talk again and never breathe w/o a trach - however I do talk (raspy) and do not need a trach. I sometimes have PTSD dreams about that as well, perhaps if I was talking about it that day. (sometimes people ask me about my voice and blah blah blah
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in New York State. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Expert:  Linda D. replied 5 months ago.

Oh my dear, dear woman, first thank you for your patience waiting for an answer. You are amazing and you remind me once again of the power of the human spirit to endure. I am so glad that you have your boyfriend and son in your life, to make all of these challenges more bearable I hope. The good news about SSI is that once you are approved you will receive financial assistance back to the date you applied. And hopefully the lawsuit will bring some financial relief and compensation. Yo sound very insightful, aware and intelligent. There area couple of workbooks that I would like you to consider purchasing and working on independently to learn strategies and techniques for managing your PTSD and anxiety. I will send you the links. Many individuals due to lack of resources or location will use this method to help themselves to manage their symptoms. Also there are online support groups to be able to share, receive and give support (sometimes very healing) for individuals with anxiety disorders/PTSD that may be helpful to you. I hope these suggestions are helpful to you. I will pass on the info I mentioned in the next thread.

Expert:  Linda D. replied 5 months ago.

Workbook information:

1. https://www.newharbinger.com/ptsd-workbook-third-edition

2. http://www.booksamillion.com/p/Mind-Body-Workbook-Ptsd/Stanley-H-Block-MD/9781572249233?ad=PFBING

3. The Anxiety and Worry Workbook: The Cognitive Behavioral Solution (Paperback)

by ***** *****

And online support groups:

https://ptsd.supportgroups.com/

I wish you all the best dear, thank you for sharing your story with me. You are quite a woman and much more than just a survivor. Take good care of yourself and let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. These suggestions are either free or low cost and should get you some of the results you are looking for. Please take a moment to rate my service to you, I would truly appreciate it. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC