LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  10 years post-MSW experience
25232551

Please please put my mind at ease. I suffer from sleep

Customer Question

Please please put my mind at ease. I suffer from sleep anxiety and ocd and 6 weeks ago I went on Zoloft 100mg morning. I want to ensure this is not going to keep me awake at night as such things add to my anxiety. For example I don't have caffeine etc. so currently I'm in a panic that I'm taking simething that could add to my sleep anxiety
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  LeahMSWuofm replied 2 months ago.

Hi Again, I know you are seeking reassurance about this but it is probably your OCD making you worry and worry and worry about this. If you went on Zoloft 6 weeks ago and it isn't affecting your sleep now, that isn't likely to change. Avoiding caffeine is a really important thing for you so keep doing this and keep taking the Zoloft as is right now as it sounds like things are okay right as far as sleep. So perhaps it is your OCD actually acting up causing you to ruminate about sleep worries when that actually isn't such a problem. Do you think this could be the case?

Recognizing when your OCD is at play is an important thing because it will hopefully help you change the way you are reacting to the intrusive thoughts. Ignoring them is the best strategy and unfortunately seeking reassurance or to be put at ease only exacerbates OCD and makes worries get more and more stuck. Does that make sense?

-Leah

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it's so annoying. It's not an issue but my mind keeps churning it into one. I've been on Zoloft for 6 weeks and sleeping well so why is my mind doing this to me����

Ugh. So true. OCD is exhausting. I am glad you can see it as this and not really a sleep problem. Calling out your OCD is very important as it helps remind you to not give in to the OCD letting it take you for a ride. You can't control the thoughts necessarily, but you can control whether or not you react to them so remember, acting on the thoughts by fighting them or fleeing from them strengthens them and keeps them going. Ignoring them completely and also seeking to accept their annoying presence without reacting, not seeking to prove them wrong, and just brushing them off over and over and over again, each and every time they pop up, is the key to settling the OCD. The Zoloft also has promise for helping reduce this OCD but it usually takes months and sometimes even closer to a year for a medication to really help ease the OCD. So embrace the Zoloft and remind yourself to let those intrusive thoughts go! If they are there, so what becuse they are untrue and not valid! They aren't worth your time and energy and shouldn't be given any attention from you :)

-Leah

** I'd really appreciate a rating from you on this and our other open questions. The rating won't affect your payment amount but will give me credit. I am here to keep hatting after you rate as well...

Hello, I am still hoping for a rating on some of the questions I have answered for you :). It doesn't affect the money you have spent so far but it allows me to be compensated for my time.

thanks, ***** ***** great weekend!

-Leah