Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

Well aware that I screwed up, but I have been taking

Customer Question

Hi, yes well aware that I screwed up, but I have been taking klonopin for about 3 weeks now averaging around 4mg-6mg a day. I do not have the option for a detox center nor insurance for medical coverage. I do not have anymore klonopin or ways of getting it. Am I at risk of having a seizure even though it's only been 3 weeks?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The klonopin was not supplied to me by a doctor rather a friend that didn't want her bottle. So... I do not have the option of informing a doctor or going to detox... I don't care how uncomfortable the withdrawal symptoms are I just need to know if I'm at risk for a seizure that could lead to death stopping cold turkey
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I usually took the 4-6mg at night all within an hour and then wouldn't take it again until 24 hrs after all again at night together at once
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also, I need a MD to be answering this question not a psychologist or PhD. I would prefer a certified MD to answer this question
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 month ago.
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
I am a Psychiatrist and I believe I can help you with your query.
Well, you see you have been taking fairly high dose of Klonopin for over 3 weeks duration which means that by now your body must have become settled on this drug at this dose, so any attempt to stop the drug at such high dose is most likely throw your body into withdrawal and I am afraid to admit this but seizures are one of the few withdrawal symptoms which can occur when the drug is stopped abruptly specially at high dose.
The danger of seizure would have been much less had you been taking Klonopin at lower doses , say up to 1mg but at this dose of 4 - 6 mg , the risk of seizure as a withdrawal symptom cannot be discounted.
So I suggest that you go to Emergency Room and get yourself weaned off under the supervision of a Psychiatrist or else you go to a Psychiatrist and seek a refill. Out of these two options the first one is less complicated and more practical but I will leave this to you to decide which option you would want to opt for.
In case you choose none of the options and decide to come off the drug on your own then I will suggest that you look out for below mentioned withdrawal symptoms which if occur should motivate you to seek medical attention promptly.
Some common withdrawal symptoms are -- headache , fatigue, confusion, stomach ache, anxiety, tremors, low mood, irritability, restlessness, nausea, dizziness, hallucinations, seizures.
I hope this helps.
Wish you all the best.
Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.
Regards