Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Is mental illness hereditary? Was there a time when it was

Customer Question

Is mental illness hereditary? Was there a time when it was once believed that mental illness was only hereditary, but then later on after that it was discovered that environmental factors can cause mental illness too? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

not all mental illness is hereditary.

there are many different types of mental ilness

my mother had bipolar illness and my sister and I don't have mental illness

some traits of anxiety or depression sometimes can be passed on from parent to child.

some trauma and stressful environmental factors can cause post traumatic stress disorder or depression or anxiety disorder in some patients.

so there is no right answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But was it once believed in the old days that mental illness was hereditary, and then like in the 1980s or 1990s discoveries were made to show that not all mental illness is hereditary, and that mental illness could also be triggered via environmental factors too? What is the history regarding what the popular opinion was in society as time went by? Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

http://www.inquiriesjournal.com/articles/283/the-history-of-mental-illness-from-skull-drills-to-happy-pills

is a good article for you to read.