Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Owner and Psychotherapist at Self-Employed, Private Practice
94172775

Ever heard of an absentee step-father? My mother has been in

Customer Question

Ever heard of an absentee step-father? My mother has been in a 30+ year long distance relationship with my father's ex-best friend. He's never attended family functions, would appears every few weeks or we travel hours to see him. I'm male, 42, single. I starting to think that relationship has affected my ability to be in a stable relationship.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Therapist Leslie replied 1 month ago.

Good morning and thank you so much for your message. I realize it's difficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.

My name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in the Metro Boston area.

Ohhhh Jesse, I am so sorry. This is indeed a very complicated relationship. I imagine your father is significantly affected by this--even more so this being his best friend. I imagine there was an enormous break-down in the friendship and your mother's relationship was an absolute violation of loyalty to your father.

I'm unsure if your mom's relationship with this other man was sexual but it was, without doubt, an emotional affair. I can see how this affects you and is making you question all of your relationships at this point. It might be helpful for you to meet with a therapist to work through these lingering issues ensuring you create healthy relationships in your present and future.

Have I answered your question? Is there anything else I can do to assist you further? I want to ensure you are pleased with my service. I also gently request you provide a star rating for me. Of course, we can continue to talk after the rating is provided.

Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie

Good evening,

I just wanted to check in as I haven't heard from you. Have I answered your question? Is there anything else I can assist you with?

I gently request you provide a star rating for me so I may be compensated. Of course, we can continue to talk after a rating is provided.

Warm regards,

Leslie