Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Owner and Psychotherapist at Self-Employed, Private Practice
94172775

How to look after a man with polar, we have just moved to a

Customer Question

how to look after a man with bi polar
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: we have just moved to a new place
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: He has just come out of prison
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Therapist Leslie replied 1 month ago.

Good evening and thank you so much for your message. I realize it's difficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.

My name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in the Metro Boston area of the United States.

There are many ways you can be a supportive partner to one with bipolar but first and foremost, my recommendation is to ensure he has a solid treatment team. I imagine the treatment team to include a psychiatrist, therapist, primary care physician and perhaps even a nutritionist. The professionals on his team can work closely together and with him to ensure he is doing everything possible to monitor moods ensuring he does not become either manic or depressed.

Once this team is established, I would ensure he is taking his medications daily as prescribed, getting regular exercise, sleeping at appropriate times and seeing the members of his treatment team on a regular basis.

I would also encourage him to monitor his own moods in a journal to better understand patterns and shifts, perhaps predicting when he might be slipping into either manic or depressive behavior.

Have I answered your question? Is there anything else I can do to assist you further? I want to ensure you are pleased with my service. I also gently request you provide a star rating for me. Of course, we can continue to talk after the rating is provided.

Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie