Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Owner and Psychotherapist at Self-Employed, Private Practice
94172775

OKMH1018211 how can i help someone with anxiety? also, any

OKMH1018211 how can i help someone with anxiety? also, any suggestions for someone who doesn't sleep much because of anxiety?

Good afternoon and thank you so much for your message. I realize it's difficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.

My name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in the Metro Boston area .

There are a few things you can suggest to your friend in terms of managing his anxiety effectively:

1. psychotherapy to learn some coping skills

2. psychiatry (medication for anxiety)

3. exercise (to raise serotonin levels in the brain)

4. yoga/meditation (to overall ease anxiety)

I would also recommend the following coping techniques:

• Take a time-out. Practice yoga, listen to music, meditate, get a massage, or learn relaxation techniques. Stepping back from the problem helps clear your head.
  • Eat well-balanced meals. Do not skip any meals. Do keep healthful, energy-boosting snacks on hand.
  • Limit alcohol and caffeine, which can aggravate anxiety and trigger panic attacks.
  • Get enough sleep. When stressed, your body needs additional sleep and rest.
  • Exercise daily to help you feel good and maintain your health. Check out the fitness tips below.
  • Take deep breaths. Inhale and exhale slowly.
  • Count to 10 slowly. Repeat, and count to 20 if necessary.
  • Do your best. Instead of aiming for perfection, which isn't possible, be proud of however close you get.
  • Accept that you cannot control everything. Put your stress in perspective: Is it really as bad as you think?
  • Welcome humor. A good laugh goes a long way.
  • Maintain a positive attitude. Make an effort to replace negative thoughts with positive ones.
  • Get involved. Volunteer or find another way to be active in your community, which creates a support network and gives you a break from everyday stress.
  • Learn what triggers your anxiety. Is it work, family, school, or something else you can identify? Write in a journal when you’re feeling stressed or anxious, and look for a pattern.

This article provides a great outline of what not to say to a friend struggling with anxiety: tinybuddha.com/blog/8-things-not-say-someone-whos-struggling-anxiety/

Some great suggestions for ensuring a better night's sleep can be found in the following article: http://tinybuddha.com/blog/how-to-get-better-sleep-and-prevent-exhaustion/

Have I answered your question? Is there anything else I can do to assist you further? I want to ensure you are pleased with my service. I also gently request you provide a star rating for me. Of course, we can continue to talk after the rating is provided.

Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie

Good evening,

I hope you are well. Just wanted to check in to ensure I answered your question. Is there anything else I could assist you with?

I gently request you provide a star rating so I may be compensated. Of course, we can continue to correspond after a rating is provided.

Take good care.

Warm regards,

Leslie