Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I am emotionnaly senstive and iam treated now for bpd which

Customer Question

hello, i am emotionnaly senstive and iam treated now for bpd which isthe wrong diagnosis i am sure now. thats why also the meds dont wrok what should i do?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: i live in a small town...doctor here dont see, to care. I take cipralex and topimax
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: like what
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 month ago.
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
I am a Psychiatrist and I believe I can help you with your query.
By BPD do you mean Bipolar Disorder ?
Please mention your symptoms ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No i mean by BPD = borderline personnality disorder. I have been having issues since my childhood now im 46. Cant seem to figure it out with counselling and all. I have insecurities that i cannot control. My childhood was affected by my mother and i felt not secure at home and made me have trust issues with women. I was also bullied so i never had a safe place to go or be long term. I tried to move on but it keeps coming back to haunt me. I live alone. Cant seem to keep girlfriend or/and friends for long. I am sensitive to everything but also strong i a sense( i was full time wildland fire fighter.) I feel sensitive like i see a sad movie and i have tears, when i am happy i am REALLY happy but when im upset /angry i could beat someone up but i dont. My emotions drives me nuts. I think about suicide regulary as it could ease my pain but i always think theres gotta another way...I am very lonely. I have been treated for depression and anxiety in the past . Now i am treated for depression and BPD. the diagnosis of BPD makes me feel sick to my stomach . There is a lot of similarities between this and HSP = highly sensitive people. I am tired of living and kinda just waiting to die of something...Can you help?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I always takes things too personnal not sure why...I understand i am dedicated when i do things .Other frustrates me when they are lazy, self absorbed, opportunist and all. i work hard .dont know why people have bad work ethics or personnal ethics ....
Thanks for the in inputs.
Well, although you have fluctuating mood and you fail to keep relationships but your idealistic approach towards life and profession, your empathy toward others, your genuine emotions for others, etc, do not fall in line for the diagnosis of BPD. Yes you do come across as a highly sensitive person with poor tolerance levels to deal with emotional highs and lows but this could be attributed to your underlying depression which disrupts the balance of your emotions.
So I believe that you need to be placed on a potent mood stabilizer drug such as depakote or lamictal, any one of these replacing topamax while you shall continue on cipralex at the optimum dose of 20 mg / day.
Along with these changes in your drug regime you should seek for a specialized therapy called as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy ( CBT ) which will help you to learn healthy coping skills to counter everyday stress which tends to overwhelm you and throws your mood off balance.
So the use of new revised drug regime and CBT will manage your underlying depression effectively and help you to learn how to keep your emotions under control both at times of coming across good and bad life events.I hope this makes sense.Wish you all the best.Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.Regards