Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

My narcissist friend is also one of my business partners. I

Customer Question

My narcissist friend is also one of my business partners. I do want to be free of the personal relationship as it is not equal and I am just so tired of the erratic and unfriendly behaviors. I'm not sure yet what to do with the business engagement and as we are in the middle of contracts, I can not just walk away. What ways - beyond reading up on narcissist behavior if I feel sad/weak - could help to keep the distance?
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 10 days ago.
Welcome to the site.
Well, since you are in the middle of many contracts that you two are involved in together , it would not be a right decision to part ways at the moment, meaning that you will have to endure his callous and upsetting antics for some time more.
However, having said that below mentioned are some coping strategies to counter narcissistic traits.
1) Since most of the narcissists derive their pleasure by making others upset and hurt, which flares up their ego and motivates then to carry out more such acts. So what you can do is that keep a POSITIVE ATTITUDE at all times , not getting perturbed and agitated when he tries to snub or irk you the wrong. By showing minimalistic or zero reaction of emotions to his antics will discourage him to cause more trouble to you since he is not getting the sadistic pleasure that he wants from troubling the likes of you.
2) Use humor as a defense mechanism to counter his bad and self centered behavior so that his comments do not get to you.
3) Draw a boundary with him when he is becoming too overbearing or making personal attacks or comments on you. You should convey your displeasure in short yet firm sentences and do not repeat the words to him so that he takes it as serious matter and modifies his behavior accordingly.
4) When he is becoming difficult to handle take time outs immediately and after some time join in as a team player thus establishing your credibility as a people's person without getting riled up yourself.
5) Keep patience and wait for the right opportunity to call it quits and move away from him once the projects are completed.
I hope this cluster of strategies if adopted by you can help you to tolerate him for some time more before you ultimately get separated.
Wish you all the best.
Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.