Marie Beasley
Marie Beasley,
Experience:  psychiatrist at Riverview Psychiatry, LLC

OKMH1017211 POSTANSWER can remeron cause vertigo I am very

Customer Question

OKMH1017211 POSTANSWER Hi can remeron cause vertigo I am very afraid to take this for my postpartum anxiety that is severe that I have nausea and can't sleep or eat good. I do have vertigo sometimes how likely is it this will cause vertigo I am scared
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Marie Beasley replied 8 days ago.

Good evening! I'm a psychiatrist and I hope I can help. All of the antidepressants (Remeron, Prozac, Zoloft, etc.) have the potential to cause a little dizziness when you first start taking them--usually the first few days if it does happen. However, most people tolerate them just fine and without any dizziness. The dizziness that people do experience is usually a much milder lightheaded sensation rather than vertigo. Remeron is a great medication and many people do very well with it. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing postpartum anxiety. I hope that you can find some relief with the Remeron. It should help with the appetite and sleep concerns as well. It's most important that you are feeling well so that you can take the best care of your little one. If you try Remeron for a few days and have side effects, please talk with your doctor about other options. I hope this is helpful!

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Will it help severe anxiety I have constant worry and intrusive thoughts and cannot tolerate ssri they make me nauseous badly
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I can only sleep 5 hrs a nite
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I was scared of remeron cause Xanax gave vertigo idk y but it was bad

Remeron is helpful for both depression and anxiety. It works through serotonin just like the SSRIs but in a different way so it is often tolerated differently. It does usually make people sleepy and should be taken at night time. It works much differently than Xanax, so I wouldn't expect you to have the same reaction to Remeron as you did to Xanax.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Since I'm scared to take it would it be ok to cut in half to test the waters lol
Expert:  Marie Beasley replied 7 days ago.

Yes, it is okay to try a half of a pill to see how it affects you.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I'm scared to stay on this cause of the withdrawal side effects I heard about. What should I do? I am very afraid of vertigo and nausea