Marie Beasley
Marie Beasley,
Experience:  psychiatrist at Riverview Psychiatry, LLC

OKMH1013211 POSTANSWER I am a 65 year-old male academic who

Customer Question

OKMH1013211 POSTANSWER I am a 65 year-old male academic who is very healthy (great diet, non-smoker, an hour of aerobic exercise daily, rare alcohol use, excellent BP, not stressed, good family medical history, no prescription medicines). I have been described as kind, warm, supportive, extroverted, loquacious, charitable. Yet, I have a troubling issue that recurs in my relationships (25-year 1st marriage, 6-year girlfriend, 3-year, 2nd marriage) a few times a year that is distressing to me. When faced with certain triggers, I go very quite and distant for a few days, cogitating on the event. Some of the triggering events: wife saying "f**k you" when I was short with her, being blamed for something that I did not do (i.e., "flirting" with a close friend of my old girlfriend), being compared to the highly unlikable father of my first wife ("you are just like my father"), or seeing an innocent abused in the theater or movies (it took me years to muster the courage to see Shindler's List. It was still difficult). In my 30s, I spent a few years exploring with a psychiatrist being physically abused by my mom as a child and things are now much better with her (she's now 92). Reading through the literature, I came upon many research articles on PTSD and wondered if my childhood trauma could be playing out in my occasional emotional detachment from the women in my life. I am readying to connect the mental health department of my HMO to explore this and also wonder if EMDR, under the guidance of a professional, may be beneficial. Any insights?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Marie Beasley replied 16 days ago.

Good afternoon! I'm a psychiatrist and I hope I can help. It sounds like you have been experiencing these episodes of detachment, triggered by stressful events for many years. The brain is a beautifully complex organ. And, when something is too potentially dangerous in any way the brain tells us in one way or another to avoid the danger. So, yes. It sounds like these stressful events are causing you to emotionally detach from a potentially threatening situation. While it may not formally meet criteria for PTSD, EMDR and intensive psychotherapy to address the underlying trauma will likely be helpful.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you. I will follow up with my HMO.

Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.