Marie Beasley
Marie Beasley,
Experience:  psychiatrist at Riverview Psychiatry, LLC
96321138

I have hocd and I am doing Erp. Right know I have the fear I

Customer Question

Hi
I have hocd and I am doing Erp. Right know I have the fear I may enjoy anal stimulation.
What Erp can you propose?
My mind wants me to test it somehow. I feel the urge to try to just bring something close to the anus as a test. Should I resist that?
I am really sorry for the silly question
thanks for your time!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Marie Beasley replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon! I'm a psychiatrist and I hope I can help you a bit. It's not a silly question at all. I'm glad to know that you are getting some help for the OCD. The question always is, is this a fear or a curiosity? Do you feel worried or anxious when you have these thoughts or does it seem like something you may actually enjoy? If it's truly a fear and an intrusive thought, I would suggest going for a short walk or doing some kind of exercise for 10 minutes. Rate your anxiety before and after. Try to be somewhere that it's not an option to test this thought so that you're not tempted. Listening to some relaxing music is always a good option as well. I hope you get some relief!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi
thanks for your quick answer. Right now I am following a self help Erp schedule which is working I think very well thanks to the help of websites and my own will. Regarding the question, I am not seeking for an answer anymore, I enjoy the doubt fooling my amygdala.
I was just wondering on exposure exercises that can be done in this case. Sometimes we Ocd sufferers tend to have Ocd about the therapy and I think I let this happen today. I know that for harm ocd sometimes the erp most of the times involves also touching objects or doing gestures. So my mind start questioning wether this can apply in my case, and to what extent, and if I would be frightened by it.., etc etc etc. All the neverending circle started. What should I really do?
Thank you so much again

So, are you having harm obsessions secondary to the fear that you may enjoy anal stimulation or is the fear itself the obsession? I just want to clarify.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No harm obsession, I have Homosexual Ocd. I was just reading about harm obsession Erp. The obsession is the fear of anal stimulation yes.

Thanks for clarifying! The key to ERP is graded exposure. So, rating anxiety provoking scenarios in terms of least to most anxiety provoking. For instance, perhaps sitting next to another male on a bus or at a theater, looking at a gay website or video, anal stimulation--just some examples. Rating the scenarios from least anxiety provoking to highest you then start with the least anxiety provoking and tolerate the anxiety with the help of relaxation strategies such as deep breathing, physical activity, music, etc. until it's resolved. Then sequentially move higher up the anxiety scale with provoking scenarios until you they are no longer bothersome. So, I would suggest making a list of situations/thoughts/behaviors that cause the anxiety to spike and then work through the ERP process with each. I hope this makes sense.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sure it makes sense. Is something I do.
The problem in this case with anal is what exposure do exactly. I mean if you have the fear of putting something in your anus, putting it is not the answer to the problem
got to brave and accept doubts

I hope you were able to get some relief. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.