Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  Specialist is sports medicine psychology. Certified in yoga, relaxation techniques and meditation.

I am trying to find a psychiatrist nearby but finding a

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I am trying to find a psychiatrist nearby but finding a pysch in general is a a challenge and that's why i'm trying to get information online. I have had ADD and anxiety/panic attacks for as long as I can remember...I've been on numerous stimulants and antidepressants which i find to do more harm than good. I know taking a pill isn't going to solve my issues, but I was wondering if there were any alternative medications out there for ADD/Anxiety other than stimulants?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: Im 28 now and I've been experiencing these issues ever since i was a child. I've learned to cope and accept anxiety through meditation and trying to think positive but my ADD and lack of interest in anything is my biggest issue, and stimulants don't seem to be the answer. They just give me horrible side effects to the point I feel like a different person. I've tried strattera and that didn't help either.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I also wanted to add that when I had a tooth extracted recently, one of the ER doctors prescribed me tramadol, and said it has been known to help individuals with ADD. He was definitely right...tramadol is the only medication out of the numerous meds that I have been prescribed that have tremendously helped with my ADD and my anxiety. Unfortunately, that's going to be hard to convince a doctor of but everyone is different. I have been on more than 20 medications and tramadol is the only one that i was more than satisfied with.
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 18 days ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

The therapeutic approach to ADHD has been shifting. In some cases, environmental restructuring and behavioral therapy alone has been effective. Metacognitive therapy involves the principles and techniques of cognitive and behavioral therapies to enhance time management. In doing so, these have maDE ADHD better able to counter the anxiety and depressive symptoms experienceD.

The best way to deal with anxiety is a comprehensive approach. It can be treated by the following measures by yourself;

1) Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and operant-behavioral therapy (OBT); done by a psychologist but there are internet based approach nowadays too. CBT has higher efficacy and lower relapse rates.

2) Relaxation training and biofeedback.

3) Hypnosis

4) Acupuncture and acupressure

5) Yoga

6) Meditation

7) Group sporting activities

8) St. John's wort

9) Melatonin
10) Valerian root

11) Deep breathing exercises.

A major component of therapy involves understanding and assuring yourself that the symptoms are neither from a serious medical condition nor from a mental deficiency but rather from a chemical imbalance in the fight or flight response. CBT helps to understand how automatic thoughts and false beliefs/distortions lead to exaggerated emotional responses, such as anxiety, and how they can lead to secondary behavioral consequences.Cognitive restructuring involves substituting positive thoughts and getting rid of negative thoughts. Some studies have suggested that high importance to religion and religious practices also improve anxiety symptoms and prevent recurrences.

You may see the online CBT links;

There is another one which is free:

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 17 days ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 11 days ago.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile: