Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

My son has moved to where I live and needs to find a good

Customer Question

My son has moved to where I live and needs to find a good psychiatrist in the Barrie area.
He has bipolar disorder and is on the following meds. He has paranoia, but presents well and is highly functional. I feel he needs a medication review and hasn't had one in several years. He is on the following meds:
clonazepam 2 mg qhs
gabapentin 300 mg bid
lamotrigine 100 mg bid
lithium 300 mg qid
paxil 20 mg (50 mg od)
quetiapine 25 mg qhs
A psychiatric nurse friend of mine who has 2 sons with bipolar disorder advised that they have done very well on zyprexa resulting in no paranoia.
Can you make recommendations as to where he starts to get the appropriate care, and what are your thoughts on the medications he is presently taking and zyprexa.
Thank you.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 20 days ago.
Welcome to the site.
I am a Psychiatrist and I believe I can help you with your query.
First of all, I am mentioning below a link for choosing Psychiatrist for drug regime revision.
As far as your son's drug regime is concerned, I believe that gabapentin to be taken as single dose of 600 mg at night, lithium at dose of 600 mg bid, lamotrigine at dose 200 mg once a day in afternoon, while clonazepam and paxil to be continued as it is and quetiapine to be replaced by zyprexa at dose of 5 to 20 mg at bedtime.
I hope this sums it up for you.
Wish you all the best.
Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.