LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  10 years post-MSW experience

I've had inseciritys with my body since I was pretty much

Customer Question

I've had inseciritys with my body since I was pretty much old enough to start worrying about things, these are to do with my breast and teeth I always feel I get judged because everyone of my friends has had braces and have beautiful teeth so I never even want to smileI infront of anyone and am embarrassed to talk to people around me I 've wanted to get them fixed for as long as I can remember when I finally saved up enough money to get breast implants and braces I found out I was pregnant and had to use the money on moving out with my partner and baby stuff and now with a baby I'll never be able to make that money again to save up for something like that for myself and I find myself so depressed and stressed out I cry about it everyday and i don't know how I can make myself feel better I worry about it all the time causing myself feeling anxious just wanting to fix these problems I'm so stressed about it I can't even sleep most nights, im so embarrassed over the whole situation is this something I can see my normal gp about and get help or is this something I'm stuck dealing with?
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  LeahMSWuofm replied 22 days ago.

Hi Sara, thanks for writing to us. My name is***** off, I am sorry to hear you are struggling with these insecurities. Body image can be a really big factor in our lives so I understand that this is a big deal for you. Secondly, congratulations on being a new Mom! It sounds like you quickly learned that sacrifices for your child are a fundamental part of parenting and I greatly respect that you put your family's needs above your own even if it was very difficult and has caused emotional strain on you. It shows a lot of maturity on your end to have done this and you should take a second to recognize this unselfish act as a very good thing. With that being said, being a parent does not automatically mean that your opportunity for your own self-improvement is lost! There will be be time again where you can save money even if right now that seems inconceivable. So don't let anxiety rob you of your hope that you will be able to make the changes you so desire. And in the meantime, you will raise this beautiful person and understand the true meaning of unconditional love and acceptance and this little being will not think twice about your perceived flaws.

As far as your question about getting help...yes, you should definitely talk to your GP about this. They should be open to talking to you about your options for medications if you feel your anxiety plays a significant enough role for you. And since you write this, I assume it does so absolutely, make an appointment with them to seek treatments for this anxiety and stress.

While medications can be very helpful, the ideal treatment for anxiety/stress ia the combination of meds and counseling. So also ask your doctor if they have any recommendations for talking to a professional who can walk you through strategies for managing your anxiety both short-term and long-term, and also begin to work with your on your self-esteem. A good therapist can be extremely helpful so to get the best handle on your stress right now, i definitely advocate for considering this as an option. I am not familiar with the best website for locating therapists in Australia but it looks like there are a few..

I hope this reply helps you see that there is still reason to be hopeful. While life seems like it stands still when that baby comes along, things will balance out and you will have a bright future. So try to stay focused on enjoying the moment while also seeking to balance out your stress with the right support. You can do it, even when it feels like things are super tough.

Expert:  LeahMSWuofm replied 19 days ago.

Hi Sara, I noticed this question is still open and wanted to check in to see if I could help further? Providing a rating for my service will not result in any additional charges to you but will allow me to great credit for helping. Thanks for considering rating me.