TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker.
64783947

My mother passed away on July 31st and I have passed the

Customer Question

My mother passed away on July 31st and I have passed the grieving process fast and mostly pain free but this seems really strange as I always imagined life without my mum as living hell and I would up until the day she died, say that I would not want to live if she wasn't here. I just turned 30 years old and my father passed away when I was a baby and there's no brothers or sisters but I do have a wonderful aunt. Mostly I think it's really strange that my mum isn't here and I also believe it's unfair that so many people my age has got their parents and they don't even take time out for them. I live in Spain but my mum lived in Denmark and I still talked to her at least once a day! I'm just wondering if I'm healing naturally and just fast or if I'm in chock as they say I was when my grandmother died... Thank you!! Sascha
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 4 months ago.

There is no right or wrong way to go through the grief process and it is different for everyone as well. Some feel the grief immediately and others feel it after a few months...no way to predict how it goes. You say that you have gone through it all and without a lot of pain and I don't doubt that, but there isn't a perfect box of grief to say you have moved through the process. Sometimes we have a delayed response to the deep pain. Time will tell if that is the case for you but however it goes for you, I would suggest that whatever feelings come up and in whatever time they do, that you continue to feel it all and talk about it all as that helps moving through this painful process. Sometimes we take steps forward and then a few back and that is okay and all normal. The reality of it all may not have set in fully or maybe it has....take each day as it comes and feel whatever it is that you do feel.

Let me know how I can support you further.