Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I take on average about 1.3 MG of Ativan, 2 or 3 times a

Customer Question

Hi. I take on average about 1.3 MG of Ativan, 2 or 3 times a week. I have heard many bad things about this dug ( all benzos for that matter ). I have used Ativan, like this for about 3 years, of course it started at only .5MG.... I have spoken with people that say, it is totally fine, if you take it 2 or 3 times a week, just not every single day. I hear others saying, Never take more than 1 in a week. Just kind of crazy. I take this for anxiety/panic disorder, and it REALLY helps! Just wanted to get some thoughts on this..Another question is - I have heard amazing things about Prospol ( I think, its a beta blocker ) for peope with Panic attacks or disorder.. Any feedback on this, would also be great!Last question- I have 2 scripts of Lexapro, but, I have yet used them, just to scared too, but I have heard they do well as well. I just cant think of taking something every day, it really worries me.Thank you so much, and if I need to pay extra for the 3 questions, no problem!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you have anxiety and panic attack type symptoms.

it is fine to use ativan 2-3 times a week to decrease your anxiety symptoms. this is not abusive and your anxiety symptoms need treatment.

I think you are talking about the beta blocker propranolol which can help decrease anxiety somewhat and also help calm down fast heart beat symptoms. yes, talk to you doctor about it. they should prescribe it to you to help your anxiety or fast heart beat symptoms.

lexapro can take 4-6 weeks to start to work to help decrease anxiety symptoms. it could help you not have to take any ativan.

you have to try it to see if it works for you. that is the only way to know

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you! Are beta blockers safe? I get nothing is ever 100% safe, just want your opinion though

yes, beta blockers are safe. you can take them and they can help your anxiety symptoms.