Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

My 17 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with autism

Customer Question

My 17 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. One of her issues that she seems to have too much empathy, that it is wrongly directed. So she will worry about a friend being hurt by another friend, with the first friend says that there is nothing wrong and she has misinterpreted the situation. She will feel so passionately about a situation but because she has trouble reading social cues she often gets it wrong. I understand this is sometimes a feature of ASD in girls but I am concerned it may point to some other disorder. Can you please give me some advice around how to work with her on this one?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 2 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Is she seeing an autism specialist?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The psychologist she is now seeing is an autism specialist but the psychiatrist wasn't and didn't even identify that she was autism spectrum. (There was a lot of pain and heartache when he spent over a year trying to treat her for disorders she didn't have and she reacted to medications.)

This is all part of autism in most cases

the inability to properly read social cues.

Well, part of ASD that is

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You didn't answer my question. I know inability to read social cues is ASD. I said this in my question.
Expert:  Mind MD replied 2 months ago.

Why do you think she may have a different disorder if she has an inability to lead social clues, which is an important sign of ASD?

Any particular condition that you may have in mind?