Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician
96392890

How does child molestation of a sibling, get transferred to

Customer Question

How does child sexual molestation of a sibling, get transferred to the next generation? Example.....a son molested his half sister for years, then the offspring or grandson molested his half sister. Does the Father act it out by molesting the son? Is it a mental defect? Is it caused by physical and emotional abuse at home?
I have three brothers and two brothers's families have had issues with incest, another one has a son as a register sex offender from child porn. Third brother molested me as a child. Your insight would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 3 months ago.

Hi I'm Dr Ashori, allow me a moment to read your question.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 3 months ago.

There are theories in medicine that some of these behavior are in fact genetic. However, there is genetic predisposition to them, not so much that it's inevitable. It makes it harder for such patients to try to have to fight the urge. However, it's still important to recognize it, educate them when they are younger and tell why it is or is no accepted in the society.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Unfortunately I was looking for more than "its a medical theories that this behavior is genetic." I would prefer more facts like..physical and emotional abuse can contribute to this type of behavior. Molested children tend to victimize other children, people or etc. At least I've asked.....instead of ignoring a family problem that keeps being passed onto the next generation. The immediate family wants to ignore and deny the entire situations.
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 3 months ago.

It's so much more damaging to ignore the situation. It's very hard to confront it but it's important.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
At least I asked because I want to understanding why it happened to me. I confronted my brother and he would not attend therapy sessions with me. I informed the family....they said I was mentally ill, cut off communications from everyone; plus cancelling meetings, dinners with me. They apparently lack empathy, ignorant about helping their offsprings and prefer to stick their head in the sand and say it didn't happen. I don't have any children so I can't pass this behavior on to any offsprings.
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 3 months ago.

Some individuals have an easier time denying what's going on as opposed to confronting it. Maybe they aren't as strong and maybe they don't know how. But that's why it's so important to not make it a taboo subject and actually put out there in the open and discuss it. Even more so because if we don't then we just perpetuate more victimization.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You should have read my letter. Sorry....you're singing to the choir. You can take the horse to water but you can't make them drink. My life has purpose and I've decided to move on with it.
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 3 months ago.

I think you are right in that, you are better for it.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 3 months ago.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 3 months ago.

If you have no other questions you can click on "Rating" to complete this session.

It was my pleasure chatting with you.

Dr. Ashori

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 3 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, I'm here to help.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 3 months ago.

If you have any other question please let me know, otherwise please click on "Rating" to close this visit.

Dr. Ashori

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 3 months ago.

Please click on "Rating" in order to close this case and complete the transaction.
Dr Ashori

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 3 months ago.

Hi there. In order for me to be compensated for this question please click on "Rating".

Thank you.

Dr. Ashori