LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  10 years post-MSW experience

My son 24 is on Risperdal and Lexapro but his depression is

Customer Question

My son 24 is on Risperdal and Lexapro but his depression is getting worse.
don't know the next step....
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  LeahMSWuofm replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for writing to us. My name is ***** ***** am really sorry o hear you son's depression isn't getting any better. Have you mentioned this to his team of doctor's? How long has he been taking this combination of medication? If your son is willing to continue to get help, you can help him by making sure his medical team is aware of his current symptoms and engaged in formulating treatment plans that will help. If he hasn't yet see a psychiatrist, I would pursue making an appointment with one as they are the ones who understand mood disorders the best and can develop a medication profile most likely to help. And because the most effective treatment for depression is a combination of medications an counseling, I would ensure that your son has access to a mental health professional like a therapist to help learn about his illness as well as skills and coping mechanisms that will help him overcome this. Counselors and psychiatrists can located here...

In terms of getting worse, if you concerned that you son may harm himself or someone else or are aware that suicide has been a prevalent thought, you may wish to consider taking your son to a psychiatric emergency room for evaluation. Sometimes, treatment of depression warrants an inpatient stay. They may or may not admit him but if suicide is a prevalent thought or he is developing a plan on how to harm himself, then this is the right step to take immediately to keep him safe and ensure he is getting the right treatment that will optimize his chances of feeling better.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or comments! I look forward to helping you think this through.