Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

I am 21 years old. I am a male. I get 8 to 9 hours a sleep a

Customer Question

I am 21 years old. I am a male. I get 8 to 9 hours a sleep a night. And I still feel exhausted when I get up in the morning. What is this a sign of
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No i have not seen a doctor and I am not taking any medications.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: Depression and anxiety
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: The sleepless night and feeling tired has been going for about 2 years
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 25 days ago.

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Expert:  Linda D. replied 25 days ago.

Hello, I am sorry to hear you are struggling with this problem. The most common reason a person will feel exhausted after sleeping as much as you are is sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder characterized by pauses in breathing or periods of shallow breathing during sleep. Each pause can last for a few seconds to several minutes and they happen many times a night. In the most common form this follows loud snoring.There may be a choking or snorting sound as breathing resumes. As it disrupts normal sleep, those affected are often sleepy or tired during the day. You would discuss this with your doctor and he would order a test to be done on you to evaluate whether you have a sleep disorder. Insurance companies are paying for this test more and more since sleep disorders are becoming more prevalent and can negatively impact a persons ability to concentrate, make decisions, their health, employment, etc. I hope you find this helpful information, I look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC