khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in multiple medical fields for many years

Does he have NPD?

Customer Question

Does he have NPD?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Omg! I typed out a long question but this is the only part that showed up. Annoying! Here is the question:
The man I was dating does not have any of the symptoms of NPD but has many of the behaviors. He planted seeds of doubt about his ex, told me he was thinking of having sex with her, I broke up with him (as he knew I would) and then had sex with her (thinking he was not cheating because I had broken up), wanted to get back together as if nothing happened. He does not listen very well, interrupts frequently. I think he has Peter Pan syndrome and commitment issues ( though he is the one that talks about a future together, not me), says he's sorry infrequently. Besides cheating he has never been abusive in any way-does not criticize, belittle or demean me. Don't think he really has empathy. Does he have NPD?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 month ago.

How many does he have?

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

•1. Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (eg, exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements).

•2. Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love.

•3. Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions).

•4. Requires excessive admiration.

•5. Has a sense of entitlement (ie, unreasonable expectation of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations).

•6. Is interpersonally exploitative (ie, takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends).

•7. Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others.

•8. Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her.

•9. Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors and attitudes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just one-I think he is lacking in the empathy department
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 month ago.

To diagnose NPD, he needs at least five. He doesn't have NPD.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not sure you read my question. I started out saying he didn't really have any of the symptoms but he has many of the behaviors. Triangulating, lying, wants to remain in my life after breaking up etc. I already went online and read the symptoms and saw he didn't have most of them so you didn't need to go over them.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I started out my question by saying he didn't have any of the symptoms so your answer was not helpful as I already knew that