khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in multiple medical fields for many years

I am having a down time with bipolar. I have been diagnosed

Customer Question

I am having a down time with bipolar. I have been diagnosed with Schizoaffective disorder some six/seven years ago. Every time I try to do something, I get a mood swing against the idea. It gets so frustrating that I eventually stop trying to do anything - I end up going to bed and have been there most of the time for the last number of weeks. I will be seeing the Doctor on Monday. I think that he is scared of my condition. What help can I be to him to make sure that I get the right treatment. Does it make sense to you that I think I need someone to clean for one hour per fortnight to take the pressure off?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?
Customer: Had a full breakdown some nine years ago - It consisted of my not being able to do anything for that time. Spent a lot of money on eating out because I couldn't cook. Mood swings were very bad. I don't really get the mania - I can only think of a couple of times where I seemed a bit high, but it was fleeting. Twice that I got the speeding talking. I have found that having a job gives me something to organise my life around and that everything else seems to flow well from that. I could afford a cleaner. It was a supplement to the pension. Now I am without the extra money to pay a cleaner because I'm not working. Seems very strange to me that having more time on my hands makes me unable to do anything.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: I am seventy years old and on testosterone and Oestradiol 50. My family has a history of mental illness.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry - I forgot to list my medications e.g. Neulactil 2.5mg and Escitalopram 20 mg
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also should add that during my breakdown I had regular suicide thoughts but not since and not now.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 month ago.

In the depressive subtype, combinations of antidepressants (eg, sertraline or fluoxetine) plus an antipsychotic (eg, haloperidol, risperidone, olanzapine, aripiprazole, or ziprasidone) are used. In refractory cases, clozapine has been used as an antipsychotic agent. In the manic subtype, combinations of mood stabilizers (eg, lithium, carbamazepine, divalproex) plus an antipsychotic are used. You seem to have the depressive subtype.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. I haven't had discussion with Specialist about it as I was too ill when seeing him - so good to know this - well worth the cost.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 month ago.

You are welcome. Please rate my answer. Hope you feel better soon.