Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Owner and Psychotherapist at Self-Employed, Private Practice
94172775

My son who is 26 years old now was diagnosed with ADHD when

Customer Question

My son who is 26 years old now was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 5 years old. He lived in the USA for the past 5 years and went to various psychiatrist to make sure that he is actually ADHD. 6 doctors confirmed he has ADHD and 2 doctors said he has bipolar disorder. He says that he was given xanax as a treatment for the anxiety caused by ADHD and bipolar. And says he was given high doses of it in the US .He takes 10 tablets 1mg xanax a day and some times 11-12 tablets a day.Some times when he takes less tablets he smokes weed.He says the combination of 5-8 tablets of xanax with weed is equal to 10 tablets of 1mg xanax a day. He says he cannot take less than this because he would feel tense, anxious, and angry without his medication. He turns into an angry , rude , and verbally abusive when he is not on xanax. He also takes 1 tablet 300 mg Serquel a night to help him sleep.
My questions are:
1- is xanax considered a medication for ADHD or bipolar?
2- is it normal to take 10 -12 tablets 1 mg a day ?
3- is it normal to mix xanax with weed ?
4- What is the appropriate medication for ADHD and bipolar?
5- what is the maximum amount of xanax he can take daily for anxiety ?
6- Does he need to go to rehap to clean his body of the high amount of xanax and weed?
7- After the rehab should he take a lower dosage of xanax ? Or switch to appropriate medication ?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Therapist Leslie replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon and thank you so much for your message. I realize it's difficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.

My name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in the Metro Boston area of the United States.

I am so sorry to hear about how your son is struggling. I imagine he is struggling with tremendously difficult symptoms and imagine this is difficult for both of you.

Sadly, your son sounds horribly addicted to Xanax and the behavior you witness when he does not take it (anger, rudeness and so on) is a result of him coming off of the medication. Xanax is in the family of drugs call Benzodiazepines and they are highly addictive. Individuals who are prescribed Xanax are only given a small dosage each months here in the states and are advised to only take one .5 or 1 mg tablet a day. Xanax is used to manage the symptoms of extreme anxiety and panic disorder.

The Seroquel is an Antipsychotic and is prescribed for those suffering Bipolar disorder and other mental disorders. If he is indeed bipolar, this medication and dosage is appropriate.

Your son's use of weed as a way of managing his symptoms is incredibly dangerous and without doubt, can bring on a psychotic episode. It is not appropriate to mix Xanax with week.

My recommendation is the following....

--Please have your son go to rehab to de-tox off of the xanax and learn to live a sober lifestyle.

--Have your son work closely with a psychiatrist to determine his true diagnosis as ADHD and Bipolar are treated differently in terms of medication prescribed Individuals with ADHD are given a stimulant and those with Bipolar are given a mood stabilizer.

--After de-toxing your son will not be able to take Xanax any longer as it is highly addictive. His doctors will prescribe another medication that is more appropriate and non-addictive.

--Have your son attend weekly therapy or group therapy sessions to maintain his sobriety.

Have I answered your questions? Is there anything else I can do to assist you further? I want to ensure you are pleased with my service. I also gently request you provide a star rating for me. Of course, we can continue to talk after the rating is provided.

Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie

Good evening,

I just wanted to check in and see if I can assist you further? I also gently request you provide a star rating so I may be compensated. We can, of course, continue to talk after your rating is provided.

Take good care.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie