Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

Im 21 years old guy and im suffering from depressive period

Customer Question

Hi im 21 years old guy and im suffering from depressive period (most notably in winter) and "happy" period since im 15-16 years old. I was diagnosed with borderline traits at 18 years old and i saw a psychologist last year who told me i seem to have an histrionic personality disorder. But im starting to think im bipolar type II (i meet like all the criterias) and i want to know if a bipolar type II can have histrionic traits during hypomania and borderline traits during depressive episode? I also want to know if histrionic patients can have "normal" periods that last for months, and if they suffer a lot of depression moments vs "megalomania" moments where they have a lot of projects, they dont sleep, etc. I have a lot of "physical" symptoms too. Also, I smoke haschich everyday, i have a lot of addictions, a lot of irritability and anxiety, and compulsive "traits" + i have social phobic (which is a different problem i think), no suicidal thoughts or self harming. Note that it really affects my life (I cant work, cant go to school, sometimes i stay home for weeks, etc.. is it common in histrionic disorder that it really affects the life of patients?) Thanks a lot for your answer and sorry for my english!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Phone Counseling Session. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I dont want a call lol sorry)
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to the site.

I am a Psychiatrist and i believe i can help you with your query.

Well, NO, a person with Bipolar 2 disorder will not have either histrionic traits or borderline traits in his personality as these type of personality disorders are straight away excluded as a diagnostic possibility once your diagnosis is confirmed of Bipolar 2 disorder. In other words only 1 diagnosis can be made , either bipolar disorder or histrionic-borderline personality disorder, they cannot co-exist since they are mutually exclusive of each other.

Now in order to be more accurate about your diagnosis, please tell me that whether you have absolutely NORMAL periods in between your 'low phase' or depression and 'high phase' or hypomania ?

I will get back to you to complete my answer once you answer my query.