Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

I am 47 and have been on prozac 40 mg for around twenty

Customer Question

I am 47 and have been on prozac 40 mg for around twenty years, but have now been recommended by a rheumatologist to switch to cymbalta 60 mg because of a considerable worsening of my fibromyalgia symptoms in these perimenopausal years. The rheumatologist said it was safe to switch from one day to another, but after a week on cymbalta (and without prozac), I feel no change when pain is concerned whereas I do feel that I'm mentally low (not exactly depressed, but reaching the grey zone). Would it be possible for me to combine 20 mg prozac with 60 mg cymbalta in order to profit from the pain reducing qualities of the latter while still being efficiently 'antidepressed' by the first?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Im sorry to hear about your situation. Now prozac (fluoxetine) and cymbalta (duloxetine) belong to the same family of SSRIs and switching them with one another would not cause any issues however that being said since you were on the drug for 20 years , it is to be expected that you would suffer from some withdrawal symptoms as your body adjusts to the new drug. Now as far as combining them is concerned, you should NOT combine these two drugs together as they have a serious interaction with each other which leads to the levels of cymbalta rising to seriously high levels which could cause life threatening effects. Using both of them together can also trigger serotinin syndrome which is again a life threatening side effect which can cause high grade fever, generalized body rigidity, seizures, coma etc.

SO i would suggest that you DONT use prozac with the cymbalta as that would be dangerous for your health, instead you can have your doctor prescribe you a common painkiller like percocet or even lyrica which can play a role in controlling the symptoms here.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.