Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I am currently away traveling and have run out of my Xanax

Customer Question

Hi, I am currently away traveling and have run out of my Xanax Rx. My psychiatrist is having surgery and I forgot to ask her for a refill prior to leaving. I am having a panic attack as I type this and am not sure what to do.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: About a month and a half. But have had the attacks for years when life transitions occur. I am currently visiting my family to discuss a current issue with my brother that has seemed to be setting the attacks off lately.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: I also am taking 20mg lexapro
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

If you are having a significant panic attack away from home and do not have your usual medicine, then your only options would be to be seen in an Urgent Care Center or Emergency Room. Many doctors would not be willing to prescribe Xanax for chronic use, but they can address the acute symptoms.

If you would be able to arrange communication from your Psychiatrist to a doctor where you are visiting your family, then that local doctor may be willing to write a prescription of Xanax to last until you can get home.