LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  10 years post-MSW experience

I am about to take 30mg of mirtazipine tonight and stop the

Customer Question

I am about to take 30mg of mirtazipine tonight and stop the 15mg of ecitalopram I have been on . Will I have a bad reaction .I am so scared as have severe anxiety and getting a food phobia.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: I have only been on ecitalopram for 10 weeks and upped dose from 10mg to 15mg . Before this I was getting increasingly anxious as I went off food before my mum died and thought the meds would help but haven't . I'm scared of any more anxiety. I am pill phobic . Just want to be normal
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: I don't suffer from bad heart diabetes or anything like that . It's just this acute anxiety . I can feel the adrenaline surges in the morning. It's awful
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  LeahMSWuofm replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for writing to us. My name is***** am sorry you are experiencing this anxiety. It is not doubt contributing to your worries about trying this new medication and I recognize that anxiety does feel just plain terrible. I am also really sorry to hear about the recent loss of our mother.

It is important to remember that you were switched to mirtazapine because your doctor believed it would help with your symptoms, not make them worse. The escitalopram you were previously prescribed was just not working for you to ease your symptoms and while that is disappointing, the good news is that there are other good options for medications that could be much more effective for you at managing your anxiety. Mirtazapine is another great option and is an SSRI (antidepressant) that is also prescribed for the treatment of anxiety.

Sometimes, doctors will prescribe a temporary medicine like and benzodiazepine such as Xanax, to help you through the initial phase of ramp up of these SSRI medications. So if you really are feeling a lot of breakthrough anxiety or perhaps anxiety as a side effect of the addition of the mirtazapine, consider asking your doctor about a PRN medication that you could use temporarily to help you with the acute anxiety, especially in the morning.

With anxiety, the best treatment s a combination of medications and therapy. Therapy for anxiety can be hugely important because it can teach you how to regulate the anxiety on your own and also how to accept and understand certain components of the anxiety making it easier to live with. So if you haven't yet, now would be a great time to enlist the help of a therapist so that you can feel your best. If therapy is not an option, consider checking out these resources which are self-help tools for managing anxiety. Developing some go-to exercises for acute anxiety and panic attacks can be a wonderful tool and hugely effective so dive in to learning about strategies used for managing anxiety that yu can do on your own.

I hope this helps. Please remember that your anxiety is trying to convince you that there is a lot to fear. before you have even made this switch which is actually meant to help you Many people successfully take mirtrazapine, and you are under the supervision of your doctor, who can step in if this medication is not right for you. And hang in there and stay positive! You are invested in managing your anxiety and getting better - you just have to be patient and trusting of the medications while also doing what you can to supplement them, like getting a counselor and ding some self-help strategies.

Hi Linda, i noticed this question is still open and wanted to check-in to see how the transition went to the mirtrazapine and if I could help further before you rate me? Let me know as I remain available.