Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

I was just discarded by a bipolar sociopath. I'm devastated.

Customer Question

JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No. No meds
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: I have ADD. But stopped the meds due to the cost. No other medical issues other than chronic insomnia. Have a history of cyclothymia. So I've been told.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to the site.

Well, you see cyclothymia is a long term condition which may last for several years, so there must proper evaluation and assessment of this condition so as to make a confirmed diagnosis. So, kindly give me some more briefing about the signs and symptoms which are suggestive of this condition.

I will get back to you once you reply to my query.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
More a problem with being devastated by a bipolar sociopath boyfriend leaving me. I've had depression off and on due to situational issues more. I don't have depression when everything is going smoothly in my life.

Thanks for the inputs.

Well, this suggests that what you have is on the lines of Reactive Depression which is induced by an event or situation evoking overwhelming stress. This time it is the break up with boyfriend. But, what is more important is to break this cycle of you getting depressed whenever there is emotional trauma and stress in your life, which indicates that you have somewhat weak coping skills against stressful life situations.

So, i suggest that you seek CBT ( Cognitive Behavior Therapy ) from a Clinical Psychologist, this is a specialized therapy which will teach you some core coping skills and strategies which you shall apply whenever there is overwhelming stress in your life so that you do not get bogged down and crumble under the pressure but instead you are able to endure the emotional upheaval and overcome it.

Also, this therapy will help you to overcome your current emotional status owing to the break up which is actually the need of the hour.

Besides, seeking this therapy , you may try out a natural herbal remedy such as St. John's wort at dose of 300 mg 2- 3 times a day to calm your nerves down and to reinstate tranquility in your mind which is all riled up and flustered at the moment. You shall discuss it with your doctor.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.